Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Consistency is Christianity

Ever notice how easy it is to get distracted?  I find that I have to fight the temptation to do "something else", when I am trying to be productive on a consistent basis.  Even getting down to writing this blog has been more than an effort lately.  I haven't written in 10 days, and I was going full steam when I first started this.  Blogging every single day.  So what happened?  Am I no longer on fire for the Lord and getting His message out?  Have I become apathetic to life?  Am I just so busy that I don't have time?  The answer is an unequivocal NO.  None of these reasons even ring at the truth.

The truth is I get distracted.  The temptation to do other, less important or sometimes even not important, things gets a hold of me and all my good intentions go out the window.  I go to Facebook and start talking to old friends, only for a minute mind you.  Right.  Or, I start trying to clean out my email inbox 'cause that's uber important.  Not, as my kids used to say.  Or, I start reading.  Nothing wrong with that, but I can do that at anytime.  How about when I start playing the stupid Facebook games?  Oh, yeah that downright imperative!

My point is that I have been allowing myself to get side-tracked.  The enemy throws out something I think may be interesting and I get caught up in it.  He plays on my propensity to be inconsistent.  I realized this today while listening to Joyce Meyer on t.v.  She talked about being consistent, and the Holy Spirit didn't nudge He shoved, THAT'S IT! 

While I considered this, it came to me that this is another application of what James is talking about.  James 1:6  - "But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."

I ask God for something, such as being blessed in writing and being able to make a living at it.  However, when it comes to being obedient to what He tells me to do to help it along, I allow myself to get thrown off course.  Why?  Because, a part of me is doubting that it is really going to happen.  That He will deliver on His promise.  I allow the enemy to sabotage me, by sabotaging myself and not staying consistent.

Consistency is the firm footing of Christianity.  You can't be a true follower of Christ and change your mind on a regular basis.  Jesus, stood by His actions and continued on no matter what was coming at Him.  So did the Apostles.  No matter what they were threatened with they kept spreading the good news.  They were consistent.  They didn't allow good times or having fun distract them either. 

Neither did Jesus.  Let's look at His first miracle.  It was in the middle of having a good time.  John, Chapter 2:1-11 tells the story.  He and his disciples are partying at a wedding they have all been invited to.  The wine runs out, probably because this person didn't have enough money to buy more, so he went with what he had and hoped for the best.  This was an act of faith in itself.  Mary, Jesus' mom says, "Son, the wine is gone.  Fix it."  He replies to her that it's not His time yet, but rather than ignore His mother's (and child's - interesting paradox, huh?) request.  He grants it.

This is representative of Jesus' ministry.  He was consistent in granting the requests of those who believed and had faith in Him.  Even though it was not "time" for His ministry to begin, he did not get sidetracked by that.  He fulfilled His calling and did what He knew He had the ability to do.  Turn the water into wine.

Not only was He able to reinforce the faith of His disciples, but think about what the guys who scooped the water out of those jars must have been thinking.  The jars were the ceremonial washing jars.  YUCK!  Who knew what kind of nastiness was in there.  Yet, God turned the cleansing liquid into an extraordinary ambrosial  drink.  So much so that the master of the ceremony regaled the host for saving his best for last.  I'm sure he was quite shocked as well.

What good can be done when one embraces consistency?  The sky truly is the limit.  For when I am consistent in seeking the Lord, studying His word, loving myself as He loves me so I can show love to everyone else, and yes...writing.   I am showing the world what it is to truly be an obedient Christian.  I can't accomplish this unless I am consistent.  Honestly, no one can.


Daddy,
Help us to stay consistent in being obedient to Your will and ways.  Keep us on track with what You want us to do.  Protect us from the evil that can come from being distracted.  We love You, we praise You, and we want to be inline with Your every desire.  Help us to see when we are being tempted to get off course, and bring in Your angels and tune our ears to Your Holy Spirit so we can stay on task until it is completed.

We praise and thank You that You are there for us, and You answer our every prayer.  That You are faithful to deliver when we do not doubt or become discouraged.

We claim the righteousness that can only come from You, in Jesus' precious name.
Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments "tasteful". You don't have to agree, but please be respectful. I look forward to all feedback. God bless you and have a fabulous day!