Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I Choose to Exemplify Christ


A few days ago I blogged about getting angry.  About controlling our anger and not letting it control us.  It never fails that when you get on a subject that is going to bless many, the enemy comes at you to try to get you to betray the very thing that the Lord gave you to stand up for.

So here's the deal.  My husband and I were separated for almost 2 years.  The original reason for our separation was to keep us from getting divorced.  We argued consistently and each day became more tense than the last.  It was to be a time out to get closer to the Lord and allow Him to do a work in each of us.  Needless to say, it didn't go that way.  The enemy got a hold of my husband, and twisted him off the path of the Lord and after his own desires.  I know this because his actions did not align with the Bible in any way, shape, or form.  I don't blame him, I keep it where it belongs...the influence of Satan on his mind.  We are reconciled now, although he filed for the divorce, so by man's law we are no longer married.  However, God does not do things as man does so by the law of the Lord, yes we are still married.  Legalism has no place in Christianity.

So, to fast-forward a bit, during the time he spoke negative words against me, spreading his bad feelings to others.  Yes, many were at the church we now attend.  However, we are back together now and although we are fine and building our relationship up each and every day...  those he spoke evil towards me to see me as the woman he said I was, and they despise me.  I'm not talking about secular folks, in fact those folks have welcomed me back to town, and expressed how happy they are that my husband and I are back together.  It has only been the "Christian" community that has rejected me.  A woman last week actually glared at me for several moments before moving to the other side of the church because she didn't want to sit near me.  The others ladies are not quite that blatant, but their coldness leaves no doubt that they don't approve of or like me.  This is a church I used to bless by singing in, I am no longer asked to do that, either.  I am a pariah as far as they are concerned.  It is not racial, yes I am one of the very few blacks that go to this church, because prior to our separation these same women were very pleasant to me.  No this is pure and simply a judgment based on words that were spoken about me to them.  This is why we must be so careful about what we say, once words are spoken they can do some serious damage.  God's word tells us time and again to think before we speak.  The tongue according to James can set aflame an entire forest, and it certainly has here.  This is a classic case of the word in action.

Well, I could get angry and be hurt.  No one would blame me, except Jesus.  Okay, I am hurt, I can't help my feelings, but I don't have to "act" from those feelings.  I can either allow myself to get angry or see this as an amazing opportunity to not only bless those who curse me, but be a witness to an unbelieving world.

What an opportunity indeed.  Instead of judging in return those that are judging me, I pity them.  For they are not truly following the ways of our Christ, and will need to answer to it come Judgment Day.  You see that's when judgment should happen, not now.  We have to be so careful about what we say and do.  We cannot give any room to the enemy, let him through any door or through our armor.

James says to count every trial and tribulation as pure joy.  It is an opportunity for me to become more like Jesus.  This is an incredible spiritual growing and learning experience.  God is blessing me through this.  It may not seem to be that way as I face rejection week after week.  However, rejection has always been something that was difficult for me to deal with.  Whenever I came across it, I would run.  This blog would go on forever if I started going into my childhood and what made me this way.  God is unmaking me, He is re-creating me into the person I was when I came from my mother's womb.  Before the impact of interaction with man caused me to respond in defense, and not as He created me to act.

So now, He is putting me in place where I have to face what I have always run from, rejection.  Time and again He has done this, and like Elijah after dealing with the false prophets.  Each time He has brought me back to it, with the question; "How are you going to respond?"  This time I choose, yes I choose to respond with love.  The love of Jesus Christ for all mankind.  People are wrong for judging me, but I am not going to fall into the trap of judging them and retaliating.  No, I wish each and everyone the best.  I pray that God blesses them and pours out His love on them.  Why, because as Jesus said, I say now.  Forgive them for they know not what they do.

Only God can reach them and show them how He wants them to live.  It is not up to me.  What is up to me, is living up to His sacrificial example.  Being an example for others, showing them the way to Jesus.  I will never do that by trying to get even, or get ugly with folks.  No, I want others to come to Christ because He has a better way.  They will only know that by seeing the way I react when under fire.    The folks around you, are the same.  They will see Jesus in you each and every time that you respond to the attack with prayers and blessings.  Let only positive, uplifting words flow from my tongue.  This is truly walking in faith.  For what I believe I create.  If I believe I let Jesus work through me to help other people, even if I must feel hurt and betrayed.

Jesus said in John 15:16-25, You have not chosen Me, but I have chosen you and I have appointed you [I have planted you], that you might go and bear fruit and keep on bearing, and that your fruit may be lasting [that it may remain, abide], so that whatever you ask the Father in My Name [as presenting all that I AM], He may give it to you.  This is what I command you; that you love one another.  If the world hates you, know that it hated Me before it hated you.  If you belonged to the world, the world would treat you with affection and would love you as its own.  But, because you are not of the world [no longer one with it] , but I have chosen (selected) you out of the world, the world hates (detests) you.  Remember that I told you, A servant is not greater than his master [is not superior to him].  If they persecuted Me, they will persecute you; if they kept My word and obeyed My teachings, they will also keep and obey yours.  But they will do all this to you because of [your bearing] My name and on My account, for they do not know or understand the One Who sent Me.  If I had not come and spoken to them, they would be not be guilty of sin [would be blameless]; but now they have no excuse for their sin.  Whoever hates Me also hates My Father.  If I had not done (accomplished) among them the works which no one else ever did, they would not be guilty of sin.  But [the fact is] now they have both seen [these works] and have hated both Me and My Father.  But [this is so] that the word written in their Law might be fulfilled, They hated Me without a cause."

So, if Jesus was not exempt from this kind of behavior towards Him from people who supposedly believed in Him, remember many while He was being scourged and crucified were at one time followers of Christ, how am I any different?  Why would I be exempt from this treatment, when He says in His word that this is what will happen?  This just proves to me that I am truly His follower and I truly belong to Him not the world.

It was a long trip to this place I sit right now, but it has been worth every emotional bump, bruise, and cut along the way.  I am today closer to Him than I ever was, and tomorrow I will be even closer.  For I must decrease, and Christ must increase and this is how He does that.

Father,
Let me keep my eyes on You.  Jesus, help me to emulate You in all that I do, but especially in my responses to others.  I do not fight against flesh and blood, but against principalities as Your word speaks.  I trust You to bless me each and every day.  I trust You to keep me on point, neither looking right or left.  Help me to know the peace that goes beyond all understanding.  Help me to remember always, that I can do all things through Christ Jesus, who gives me strength, and not by my own strength.  The battle belongs to You, I will be still and let You do Your work.  I will praise You as Your right hand moves within my life and makes my path straight and sure.  Thank You for loving me this much to keep me under the pressure until I am re-created into Your original creation.


In Jesus name,
Amen


  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep all comments "tasteful". You don't have to agree, but please be respectful. I look forward to all feedback. God bless you and have a fabulous day!